We swim in all sorts of bills and try to save both energy and money for the well-being of everybody. Old-fashioned light bulbs were replaced with eco-friendly energy saving light bulbs.
Some of us were thinking that these were the best that could ever happen. But experts have some bad news for everyone that got excited over the home-budget in light bulbs.
This made the US Environmental Protection Agency come with a protocol regarding the use of the energy-saving bulbs. The protocol is based on cases of breakage. These bulbs release toxic gas and are not good for our health.
If you break one of these in your room, the bulb will release 20 times more the maximum allowed mercury concentration in the air.
This was approved by a group of researchers at the Fraunhofer Wilhelm Klauditz Institute who did a checking on the needs of the German’s Federal Environment Agency.
These new “fancy” bulbs can bring us anxiety, migraine, and cancer, so you have very good reasons to go back to our good old bulbs what we were using before.
The new fancy Energy-saving bulbs are packed with very strong neurotoxin chemical mercury.
It’s a very dangerous neurotoxin that has the devastating effect on young children and expecting moms. Mercury mostly affects your brain, nervous system, and kidneys. It has the detrimental effect on the cardiovascular and reproductive system. The exposure to mercury causes, anxiety, insomnia, memory loss, headaches, and the worst of all — cancer.
The chemist Peter Braun at Berlin Germany’s Alab Laboratory made a study according to which these bulbs contain the following dangerous carcinogens.
Phenol is a toxic white crystalline solid obtained from coal tar. Phenol is used a lot in chemical manufacture.
Naphthalene is a white crystalline compound obtained through the distillation of coal tar. Producers also use it as a raw material in chemical manufacture when they work.
You can read more about his study here.
The new on the market fancy light bulbs have UV-B and UV-C radiation.
UV rays are very dangerous for the human skin and may trigger the development of cancer. These also can be harmful to your vision. The UV radiation attacks the immune system. It damages the human skin to the extent it prevents the normal production of vitamin D3.
Cheap price doesn’t really matter because these light bulbs put your health at serious risk.
Breaking one of these fancies bubbles is the worst thing that can happen to a house. The Agency for Environmental Protection requires that every citizen follows their detailed protocol that involves details for the mercury and the other carcinogens.
BROKEN BULB CLEAN-UP PROCEDURE
NEVER vacuum. Vacuuming will spread mercury-containing powder even more. Do this if you can still see glass bits after you finish the cleanup:
1. Use stiff paper to scoop up glass pieces.
The sticky tape will help you get the smallest bits and powder. Discard the used tape in the bag. Double check the cleanup plan if you need more information for the cleanup of hard surfaces, carpets or rugs.
2. Remove the bag in a sealable container.
Remove waste outdoors in a trash container or protected area until the waste is disposed of. Please do not leave the bulb pieces indoors. Your local government gives you details about disposal requirements in your town.
Always keep in mind that some localities require that bulbs are disposed of in a recycling center. This is regardless they are broken or unbroken. If there’s no such thing, dispose of the waste in your trash.
Leave the windows and doors open, and the conditioning system off for a few more hours.